Friday, March 12, 2010

FOOD FRIDAY #5

A little story comes along with this recipe. Those of you who know me well know that I am kinda picky about what I eat. As I am getting older, ha ha, I am broadening my horizons of food.
Yet, I still have some things I just can't stand.
From a poem Linda, my mother-in-law, read at our wedding she captures my odd eating habits.

"Now, there is one subject, Brady has no intent of being rude
But he says you don't have much in common when it comes to food
Becca does not eat eggs, seafood, salad dressings of any kind
No sauces, condiments or tomatoes on her sandwiches you'll find."

Now, guess what? There is a salad dressing I will eat. And it comes from the recipe I will share today.
My friend Kaci made this salad for the wedding shower she did for me and I loved it!
Life changing, I tell you what!
So, thank you Kaci for changing my life.
She says this recipe is from her mom, but let's give both of them credit.
Thanks Bobbi Green and Kaci for this amazing recipe.

Cran Raisin Salad

2 pkg European blend lettuce (also called Spring Mix)
1 head iceberg lettuce
1 cup craisins
1 cup sugared almonds
1 cup mozzarella or jack cheese (finely shredded)
1 lb bacon (fried and crumbled)
5 chicken breasts or 12 chicken tenders (optional)

Notes:

Costco has a spring mix lettuce that works great. Use half the pack for one recipe or the whole box for double the recipe.

I sugar my own almonds. Super easy. Put them in a bowl and run hands under water and then through the almonds so they become wet. Pour about 4 tbsp sugar over them and coat evenly. Heat skillet to medium, spray with Pam and cook 1/2 cup almonds at a time, just until lightly browned. You know they are done when they cool and they are crunchy.

I boil the chicken for this salad. Boil in an 8 quart pan (or whatever you have) with 1 cube chicken bouillon for 45 minutes. Drain, let cool and shred.

Dressing
1/2 red onion (chopped up slightly)
1 cup sugar
2 tsp dry mustard
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil

Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth. (It looks like a smoothie when done)

This is great for parties and showers. Everyone seems to love this salad. I will usually prepare the almonds, cheese, bacon and chicken the day before and put them in the refrigerator overnight. I make the dressing and chop lettuce a couple hours before and refrigerate it until ready to serve. This way all the ingredients are cool when you put it together. Just before guests arrive mix all ingredients and put dressing on as close to serving as possible.

My sister in law suggested I start adding pics to the food blogs. This is the salad the the last shower I threw. Sorry, the salad is tiny, but at least there is an example!






6 comments:

  1. yummm. I'm pretty sure I've had your cran raisin salad. It's so tasty. I'm totally going to make this, thanks Becca!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this recipe...sounds great. I love reading about you and Brady. Sam's mom and Julie's mom-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! I remember that salad and it really was sooo good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the credit becca. I am so happy that I was able to convert you to having dressing on atleast one of your salads, hahaha!! Love your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to let you know that I made your tacos the other night and they were fabulous. I have never heard of making them that way but I think I will make it a regular at our house. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful shower picture - what a great hostess! :) I'm dying for a chance to make a strawberry topiary like you did... even have the forms a'waitin.

    hope to see you guys soon

    ReplyDelete